Friday 12 March 2010

The dangers of game addiction

Addiction is a key problem in society, and game addiction is just as valid as alcoholism or drug dependency. Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) games such as World of Warcraft can prove very addictive to certain people, to the extent that game addiction clinics have been set up to help them. Game addiction can ruin lives, friendships, and people's health. Richard, a friend of mine, showed signs of addiction to WoW a few years ago, and he has agreed to answer some questions about it.

Q: How did your addiction start?

Richard: To begin with, I was playing WoW with a group of friends, and we would play a couple of hours a day after college. At the start it was relatively harmless and good fun. It didn’t get in the way of my work and my life was still balanced. However, as some of my friends began to stop playing, I started playing more, staying up late on weeknights, and feeling bad the next day. I just didn’t want to stop playing, it stopped being about fun and started becoming more of a compulsion. I joined a raid guild and started skipping school for days at a time so I could play.

Q: Surely this was a problem with your parents and teachers?

R: Yes, it was, but as I became addicted I also became unsociable and angry in general. I would argue with my parents all day and disregard my teachers when they tried to help me catch up what I had been missing. All I cared about was playing WoW and having fun with my friends online, none of whom I had even met. All my real friends had stopped playing by this point, but the thought seemed inconceivable to me. I would miss college for days at a time and stop going outside. I put on a lot of weight and became generally unhealthier but I just didn’t care. I felt an obligation to be online, and whenever I wasn’t I worried about what I was missing.

Q: How did you break your habit?

R: Eventually my parents took my computer, and cut off the internet connection to the house. I was furious, I ranted and raved and screamed and threw things and generally acted like a child who has had his favourite toy taken away from him. This went on for a few days, but eventually, as I went longer and longer without playing, I began to see how I didn’t need it after all. I felt so stupid and ashamed of how I had acted. I am lucky that my parents were so supportive and forgiving, many others in their situation would not have been. I try to stay away from online video games in general now, especially MMOs. I know the effect they can have on me.

Game addiction is a serious problem, and if you feel you are becoming addicted, do not feel shame in seeking help.

For further help and information, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment